Indonesia

i am prescribed astaxanthin during pregnancy, is it safe

Dr. Scott Roseff
Fertility Medicine 39 years experience
Are you sure?: I looked up the term "astaxanthin" in my medical index and the term wasn't found. Are you sure this is the spelling? Are you in the United States or another country? Please check and let us know...
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Unsure, but probably: Unfortunately as a non-rx supplement, it is not regulated by the fda, so safety is not studied. It is however a carotene (like found in foods) it is not converted to vitamin a (retinol) in the human body. Like other carotenoids, astaxanthin has self-limited absorption orally and such low toxicity by mouth that no toxic syndrome is known.

Last updated Mar 28, 2015