why would a colostomy be performed?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
38 years experience General Surgery
See below: There are many factors to consider. Usually a colostomy is performed because of an inability to safely reconnect the colon together. It could be due to disease, infection, cancer, radiation, poor tissues or ill health. If the colon leaked internally at a weak connection, then a serious and potentially life threatening infection can occur. The surgeon has many considerations to make at surgery.
Answered on Oct 4, 2017
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
46 years experience Radiation Oncology
Colostomy may: Be needed for cancers too close to the rectal muscles to maintain continence, or any time that stool needs to be diverted away from necessary healing in the low pelvis. The former is not reversible, the latter is.
Answered on Aug 31, 2012