A 52-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

what's an allergic reaction to cheap metal?

1 doctor answer
Dr. Brian Novick
42 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Often to nickel: The skin can get red itchy and bumpy...Stop wearing it and if not severe(or infected) try cortisone cream(not benadryl) and avoid the jewelry..If it happens with several pieces, bring them to an allergist with a description of the reaction(and maybe picures). The testing can often be done.
Answered on Jan 30, 2014
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Steven Machtinger
43 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Nickel allergy: You have a contact dermatitis to one of the metals - this is almost always nickel. A topical corticosteroid cream should help but the rash may still t ... Read More
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Jack Mutnick
16 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Hypoallergenic: Should look for the hypoallergenic or latex-free variety. The cheaper the item, the cheaper the material used to manufacture....The greater the risk o ... Read More
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
28 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Metal allergy: Ideally you should be fine, unless there is nickel in it, there are kits you can buy to test jewelry for nickel content.
A 36-year-old female asked:
Dr. John Goldman
54 years experience Rheumatology
Would not advise it: it may be wise you're not to do the tattoo. If you wish to pursue your choice you need to see a dermatologist who can skin test you to see exactly wha ... Read More
1
1 comment
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month