when does someone get referred to a pain specialist?

Dr. Jordan Fersel
Pain Management 37 years experience
Good question...: When they have severe pain that does not go away but should have with normal healing.

Why do I need to see a pain specialist?

Dr. Sarkis Banipalsin
Specializes in Family Medicine
Extra resource.: The referral to a pain specialist is based on experience and comfort level of the primary physician. He/she needs to be familiar with the medications and different modalities for treatment. Pain specialist has extra tools and resources and has a team to work with. It will make the pain management easier. Pain specialist has to work with primary doctor very closely.
Lagrange, GA

It was recommended for me to see a pain specialist. What exactly do they do?

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
A pain specialist : Will interview and examine you to understand the nature of your pain. He will consider physical, psychological and social issues and develop a strategy for you to combat your pain.

What to do if I have my first appointment with a pain specialist and want to know what to expect. Can anyone help me who's been?

Dr. Anthony Pollizzi
Anesthesiology 36 years experience
Prepare: They will likely perform a thorough history about your pain issues. Be honest and thorough to get the best help you can.
United Kingdom

Seeing a pain specialist this Friday and was wondering if they have other meds available that my regular doctor doesn't. Is this usually the case ?

Dr. Nathaniel Drourr
Pain Management 29 years experience
Not necessarily : it is not always a question of having access to different medications. At least in the United States most physicians can prescribe the same medications. However a pain specialist may have better insight as to specific uses of different medications that the primary care physician was not aware of. Additionally they will have knowledge of injection therapy and other modalities. Good luck
FL

I found a pain specialist that I would like to go to. How would I be able to get an appointment with that doctor if I do not have a primary care?

Dr. Christopher Conti
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
REFERRAL: I would be happy to help you but more information is required & a medical record must be created. The HealthTap platform is an easy, virtual solution. Connect with me for an inbox consult so that we can work together to get you the referral you seek.

Last updated Aug 9, 2015