Mountain View, CA
A female asked about a 68-year-old male:

My father has been making sounds when he is sleeping. i suspect he is saying words but his speech is so slurred it's impossible to tell what he is say?

Dr. Warren Wolfe
Not uncommon: This is a common occurrence. The chances of deciphering what he is saying are small. I'm sure when he awakens he won't even remember what he was trying to say. It's all part of dreaming.
Dr. Stephen Southard
Sleep talking : Or somiloquy can happen due to stress or sleep deprivation amongst other things. It is usually harmless and more bothersome to a sleep partner but often is associated with other sleep disorders. You may want your father to review this with his doctor to evaluate him for other more worrisome sleep disorders.

Last updated Apr 29, 2015