U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

What is the treatment for painful joints?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Internal Medicine 51 years experience
Depends on cause.: Joint pains is so complex, that there is a specialty of internal medicine devoted to it: rheumatology. When i spent a year at johns hopkins hospitals during training, i didn't realize i would be studying well over a hundred diseases entities. Joint pains that go on for months, esp. When they are inflammed (hot, red, swollen, painful), then c ur pcp. Joint aches (arthralgia)--try an otc first.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
A Verified Doctoranswered
Rheumatology 53 years experience
See a rheumatologist: The first step is to establish the cause. Once that is done, then appropriate treatment can be started. See a rheumatologist.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Varies: It really varies based upon the cause. Bi would not hesitate to be seen for a specific diagnosis and to discuss treatment options.
Last updated Sep 5, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.