Albany, OR

red yeast to lower cholesterol. better then prescription statins??

Pathology 44 years experience
No: Red yeast contains lovastatin that's made naturally. Somebody's going to tell you that it's 'better' because it was grown in a lab rather than synthesized in a lab. That's your business. Cholesterol meds are life-and-death and if you want to take a preparation like red yeast that's not standardized, then that's your business. The key is that you are managing your cholseterol closely -- Good.
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
The key is that you manage your cholesterol and adjust whatever you take to meet treatment goals. Best wishes.
Nov 12, 2014