How serious is it if you have a succinylcholine family allergy?

Dr. David Abramson
37 years experience in Anesthesiology
Important: I don't think you have a family "allergy" as much as a deficiency in the enzyme that breaks down succinylcholine, (pseudocholinesterase) which can occur quite commonly. It is IMPERATIVE that you tell your anesthesia provider this information. They can either use an alternative drug, or use succinylcholine and know that it would work longer. You can be tested to know if you have this problem.
Answered on Jan 26, 2015
1
1
Dr. John Lin
Dr. John Lin commented
15 years experience in Anesthesiology
Two worries here: First, if you have deficient enzyme that metabolizes succinylcholine then you may have prolonged muscle paralysis. Second, if you have "allergy" to succinylcholine, you need to be sure you do not have malignant hyperthermia (MH). MH is a serious genetic condition that becomes life threatening if exposued to succinylcholine.
Nov 12, 2014