when you get braces how long do they have to stay in?

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Depends: Each person is different and your orthodontist can give you the best estimate. However, by complying with his/her treatments (wearing the elastic bands when you're told too!) you can do your part to make sure your time with braces is as short as possible.
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dentistry 15 years experience
Brace time: It really depends on how severe your teeth are and all that is involved to fix them. An orthodontic exam should give you an idea.
Dr. S. jay Bowman
Orthodontics 36 years experience
Very variable: Treatment times for braces are based on the difficulty level of the problem that you present the orthodontist. Minor treatments could be as short as a few months and other may take 2-3 years. It's best to get an opinion from a specialist in regards to your specific situation. Treatment times are very . . . Variable.