U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 74-year-old male asked about a 91-year-old male:

Is there a name for a person who treats diseases of the liver? that is, what sort of specialist should a patient consult if there is a hepatic dysfunction of some sort?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Hepatologists: deal with the liver. Sometimes gastroenterologist or internal medicine specials also do.
Last updated Jul 4, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.