Brooklyn, NY

My grandma has als and can't move on her own and she also hardly swallows the food. what to do to stop this decease from progressing?any medicines?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology 34 years experience
No: Sounds like your grandma is in a fairly advanced stage so she must have ALS for a while quite enough time to discuss her decease with her doctors.I find it a stretch to believe that you haven't been told not once but repeatedly that this decease has no cure and that the only approved drug riluzole only slows it a little. for more information about this decease check out http://www.alsa.org.
Neurology 52 years experience
Sorry, but: Treatment for ALS is sorely lacking, and the drug Riluzole merely delays tracheostomy, and has no effect on muscular strength. Some research projects are ongoing where you live, and would not be harmful to join one of these. Check nearby medical school departments of Neurology.

Last updated May 21, 2016