could mesenteric adentitis be caused from endometriosis ?

Dr. Nir Hus
Dr. Nir Husanswered
General Surgery 16 years experience
Mesenteric adenitis : normally it is associated with a recent common cold. But in actuality it is an entity that is not fully understood.

Are you seeing more endometriosis in younger women today?

Dr. Brian Fishman
Dr. Brian Fishmananswered
Emergency Medicine 9 years experience
Mostly women over 30: Endometriosis is usually found in women over 30. It is defined as endometrial glands outside of the uterus (ovaries are the most common site) and is thought to be caused by prolonged retrograde menstruation. It is the most common cause of female infertility and risk factors include nulliparity (no history of childbirth), family history, and low bmi.

I was told that the changes in the peritoneal fluid due to endometriosis is one of the causes of my infertility. What does this mean?

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology 40 years experience
Endo: There are certain substances in our bodies that are responssible for fighting inflammation. This substances may affect the quality of the egg and may alao affect the ability of the fertilized egg to implant in the uterine cavity.

What are the other common areas outside of the pelvis where we find endometriosis?

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology 40 years experience
Endo: Endometriosis could affect the colon, the appendix, the liver, very rarely, lungs and brain.

Are there any women who are more prone to have endometriosis?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine 19 years experience
Family History: Although endometriosis is not a genetic disorder, it does run in families (sister, mother, etc). Women who have chronic pain, painful periods, and painful sex are more likely to have endometriosis. Women who have a uterine anomaly are more prone to it as well.

Can endometriosis be decisively diagnosed by pelvic exam?

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology 40 years experience
Endo: The gold standard for the diagnosis of endometriosis is laparoscopy. On a personal note in the prescence of pain with menses and significant pain when I do my exam and stretch the uterosacral ligaments, i find endo at the time of laparoscopy about 90% of the time.

Last updated Oct 11, 2014