Is it safe to take 3 advil (ibuprofen) 200mg every 3 hours for sciatica pain that hurts really bad.

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Talk to pharmacist: This is the MAX I've heard of: For extreme severe arthritis pain a daily total of 3,200mg can be taken in 3-4 equal doses (intervals of 6-8 hrs). Sciatica pain is known to be awful and hard to treat. Consider accupuncture and other alternative pain mgmt. Be careful - organ damage would make life even harder. I wish you well.
Dr. Satish Sundar
Too much: If there is so much pain, you should be seen. The medication will cause gastritis and renal toxicity. Determining cause of pain and other management is recommended.

Last updated Jul 27, 2020