GA

i am 36 weeks pregnant. i used a heating pad on high setting on my back and fell asleep. i woke up hot a few hours later. did i cause any harm to baby?

Dr. Darrin Cunningham
Probably ok: The back is dense with muscles. The heat should of dissipated and would not have hurt your baby. Burning your skin however is my biggest concern for you in this situation. Be careful. Good luck with your labor and delivery.
No: The baby is self contained in a pool of watery fluid at your constant body temperature. The pool itself acts as a buffer against any short term change in temperature. Your heating pad would not be able to do any harm.Floating in a hot tub for hours in the early weeks of pregnancy might.

Last updated Oct 3, 2017