A 25-year-old female asked about a 27-year-old female:

Which a drugs do u prescribe for bipolar with equal mania and depression?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joyce Pastore
Internal Medicine 31 years experience
Bipolar disorder: There are many types of medications used to treat bipolar disorder with both symptoms of mania and depression. The treatment should be tailored to the patient's constellation of symptoms. Lithium, antipsychotics, and benzodiazepines are among the medications used.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Carrie Cannon
A Verified Doctoranswered
Family Medicine 35 years experience
Mood stabilizers: Mood stabilizers first such as antiepileptics like topamax, lamictal, divalproex, litium with careful monitoring or atypical antipsychotics such as abilify, resperdal, seroquel, zyprexa, clozaril, or geodon or more recently Safris, Latuda, (lurasidone) Fanapt, Invega They may need an atypical antipsychotic plus an antiepileptic at first if manic. Then the mood stabilizer can be augmented with antidepres
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 37-year-old female asked:
What's the difference between being manic depressed & being bipolar or are they the same?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 20-year-old female asked:
I am experiencing mania and bipolar disorder (manic depression).
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
How fast does a bipolar child cycle between mania and depression?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old male asked:
Is topomax used for mania or depression associated with bipolar disorder?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Sep 17, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.