Forest, MS

is manic depression the same as bein borderline bipolar or bein bipolar?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Manic depression: "manic depressive" illness is an older term for bipolar disorder. "borderline" is a type of personality disorder -- very different problem although affective instability may be part of both. The drivers for each are different, borderline pd generally going "off" when fears of abandonment are triggered. Bipolar (manic depressive) d/o doesn't require that for a manic or depressive episode.
Dr. Linda Kondilis
Clinical Psychology 9 years experience
BD vs BPD: No. Manic depression or bipolar disorder is a mood disorder. Borderline is a personality disorder.
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Specializes in Psychiatry
Terms: Manic depression is the historical term for what is now called bipolar affective disorder borderline bipolar is not a diagnosis.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Bipolar equals MD: The terms bipolar disorder and manic depression are interchangeable; the latter is the old name for the former. Biploar disorder is a mood disorder. Borderline is a personality disorder.