A member asked:

Could an overdose of diamox (acetazolamide) pills kill you?

A doctor has provided 1 answer
Dr. Marybeth Lambe answered

Specializes in Travel Medicine

Unlikely: Although serious dehydration and salt depletion has occurred requiring hospitalization and supportive care, overdose of Diamox (acetazolamide) is very survivable. The half life of Diamox (acetazolamide) is 9 hours and is cleared by the kidneys. Usually fluid support is given and often potassium while maintaining the body's in acid base balance. As Diamox (acetazolamide) clears out, the person gradually recovers--usually without any lasting harm.

Answered 2/19/2015

5.3k views

Thank

Related Questions

A member asked:

Changes in taste with diamox/acetazolamide?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

A member asked:

What effect does Diamox (acetazolamide) have on your vision?

A doctor has provided 1 answer

A member asked:

What are side effect of the acetazolamide ?

7 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

A member asked:

Acetazolamide mechanism of action and duration?

A doctor has provided 1 answer

A member asked:

Does acetazolamide have dangerous side effects?

A doctor has provided 1 answer