Wichita, KS

is clarinex (desloratadine) d 24 hour available over-the-counter or is it prescription only?

Dr. Mitchell Kahn
By prescription: But Claritin D is OTC and is almost as effective.Clarinex (desloratadine) is des-loratadine and Claritin is loratadine
Dr. Susan Rhoads
You are correct, Dr Kahn! I misread Claritin for Clarinex. Probably because I am taking Claritin-D as we speak. Also, a doc can write a 30 day px for Claritin-D and it will override the 2 week limit that some states have for otc purchase of claritin-d or like drugs.
Nov 2, 2014
Dr. Susan Rhoads
You have to sign: The D means it contains pseudoephedrine which is a stimulant drug that can be abused. In some states you have to sign for it and show a driver's license. It is also available by prescription. Do not take if if you have high blood pressure or heart disease for sure. Read the package for other precautions as well. I am not sure if you have to sign for it in every state. Your pharmacist knows.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Provided original answer
I did misread this as Dr. Kahn clarifies. And Clarinex is prescription You have to sign for Claritin-D, still. Your doc can also write a px for 30 days of Claritin-D and then you will not have the 15 pill limit imposed by some states, like KY on otc Claritin-D.
Nov 2, 2014