A member asked:

My fiance have pain behind one knee, and feeling some numbness down the leg and under it. he has been kneeling for a while on hard surface today. ?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Vikram Patel answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Popliteal fossa: The area behind the knee is called the popliteal fossa and the nerve supplying the foot (sciatic) is right there. Sometimes people develop a cyst in the knee that can protrude in the back of the knee and compress the sciatic nerve branches. You should get evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon who can get an MRI and advise. The nerve symptoms deserve prompt attention. Good luck

Answered 2/3/2015


Dr. Samantha Maplethorpe answered

Specializes in Functional Medicine

Knee pain: I agree with Dr. Patel. You should have him evaluated. Since he likely won't need surgery before other conservative treatments are used, it would also be fine to start with an evaluation by your Family Physician.

Answered 9/26/2016



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor