is imodium (loperamide) safe to take if i have gastritis?

Dr. Krishna Anand
Safe but may not hel: Imodium (loperamide) is safe for gastroenteritis ,

Is it okay to take imodium (loperamide) following a cholecystectomy?

Dr. John Edmison
Gastroenterology 19 years experience
Yes: Diarrhea is a common side effect of having your gallbladder removed. The fluid that is usually stored in the gallbladder can enter the bowel as bile acids and stimulate secretion of fluid resulting in diarrhea. Common treatments include Cholestyramine (binds the bile acids) or Imodium (loperamide) (slows down the bowel allowing for reabsorption of fluid).

Is there anything I can take to stop the pain immediately, when I have a gastritis attack?

Dr. Sylvie Rimmer
Urgent Care 35 years experience
Gastritis: Ttry some over the counter antacids such as maalox or tums (calcium carbonate). Some people find relief from a glass of milk or a yogurt, especially if they have an attack on an empty stomach. There are also some acid reducer medications available over the counter, but these take some time to work, and as ever, you should check with your doctor that they are ok for you to take with your other medications.

I have chronic gastritis, even when I eat several hours before bed. Is there anything I can do or take to prevent this? It is unbearable..

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Meds: If the diagnosis is correct, welcome! me too. Pretty annoying isn't it? The treatment is an acid blocker called a proton pump inhibitor and sometimes a pro kinetic medication that will keep food from sitting in your stomach. Sometimes you may have breakthrough symptoms. Tums, Zantac (ranitidine) or Pepcid or tagamet may give added bedtime relief. Don't smoke, stop booze, and get up and don't sit or recline foi.
Murrieta, CA

Very loose diarrhea for a week, hard to control. Woke up covered in diarrahea didn't even feel it happening. Have taken lots of imodioum doesn't help?

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Diarrhea: Please have yourself checked by a doctor. It looks like you contracted an infection or a parasite. In the meantime, push fluids containing electrolytes like gatorade to prevent dehydration.

Is it possible for chronic gastritis to cause pernicious anemia?

Dr. Michael Benjamin
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
The two are linked: This finding goes back to 1964, believe it or not: http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pmc/articles/pmc1552204/?Page=1 there are autoimmune antibodies in both conditions, so while one might not cause the other, the two are related.