Houston, TX

I've had bad allergies my whole life. reacted to skin test with red itchy bumps however doctor said the test was negative. why did i react?

Dr. Gary Steven
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 30 years experience
Hard to say: There are conditions in which the skin does not react properly to a skin test. Thus, to rule that out, we always place what is called a "positive control" - one of the tests is not an allergen, but histamine, which is the chemical released in an allergic reaction. If you don't react to histamine, we know that something is wrong with your skin. So a negative panel always has ONE itchy bump.

Last updated Apr 9, 2016