Please tell me if an epiretinal membrane in the eye the same as macular pucker?

Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology 35 years experience
Yes and no: A macular pucker is often caused by an epiretinal membrane. But you can have an epiretinal membrane without a macular pucker.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Colin McCannel
Retinal Surgery 31 years experience
Most retina specialists use these terms interchangeably in my experience. Technically speaking, the term pucker should be used what the epiretinal membrane causes puckering up of the retina in the macula. When the puckering is caused by vitreous gel traction, it is usually called virtue-macualr traction syndrome. I hope I did not confuse you;)
Mar 7, 2015
Dr. Colin McCannel
Retinal Surgery 31 years experience
Same: Those terms mean the same thing. Additionally, sometimes a pucker is referred to as "scar tissue on the retina", and "epiretinal gliosis." when appropriate, surgery to remove the pucker may be a good idea to halt vision deterioration, or modestly improve vision. Best to see a retina specialist for this kind of problem.