A member asked:

What do you suggest if my sister is an alcoholic and it has become a matter of life or death. can our family get a court order to have her committed in a facility?

A doctor has provided 1 answer

Depends on state: All states generally have rules regarding involuntary commitment, but the requirements vary considerably state to state and even court to court. Generally, the person has to be clearly a danger to themselves or others, and some courts require that they be shown to be incapable of making appropriate decisions as well. I would strongly recommend getting a lawyer with familiarity with your laws.

Answered 7/26/2014



Related Questions