U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

Can i have a shrimp allergy just by touching it?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Carter
A Verified Doctoranswered
32 years experience
Yes: Touching the shrimp can cause local symptoms like itching or a hive where you touched the shrimp. You aren't likely to have systemic symptoms like you would if you ate it, unless you put your finger into your mouth after touching the shrimp. In general, it takes ingestion of the food to cause anaphylaxis.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 35-year-old member asked:
Is there a cure for shrimp allergy ?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
What is a common symptom of shrimp allergies?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
Do I have a shrimp allergy if my dad has one?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
What are the common reactions to a shrimp and shellfish allergy?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
What does an allergy to shrimp appear itself?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 3, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.