U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Ramon, CA
A 40-year-old male asked:

Had surgery to remove part of colon at age 3 for hirshprungs. i had bowel obstruction. how to find it is due to scar tissue or hirshprungs w/o surgery?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Philip Ewing
Pediatrics 20 years experience
Enema and/or Biopsy: Biopsies are usually done before Hirschsprung's disease surgery to ensure that all affected segments are removed. You might indeed have scar tissue or adhesions resulting from your surgery. A contrast enema could help identify areas prone to obstruction. This enema may also identify aganglionic Hirschsprung's sections that may need biopsy before further surgery. GI consultation may be helpful.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 9, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.