Austin, TX

is it ok to take probiotics while taking antibiotics (metronidazole)? or should i space them out? having trouble getting my ph balanced.

Dr. Bret Boyle
Wound care 28 years experience
It should not: make a difference when you take them.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Sure: It really doesn't matter when you take them.

Can I take antibiotics or over-the-counter anti-diarrheal drug for ane. Coli infection?

Dr. Jeffrey Crespin
Gastroenterology 28 years experience
Yes: The strains of e.Coli that cause travelers diarrhea can be treated with the antibiotics Cipro (ciprofloxacin) or rifaximin. Antidiarrheal can be taken for symptoms. In the past there was some concern that antidiarrheals would prolong the infection, but that does not seem to be the case.

Is it worse to take antibiotics while pregnant or to have a bacterial infection?

Dr. Indu Lal
Dr. Indu Lalanswered
Safe antibiotics: Most of the time obstetrician give medications that are safe. Certain infection at different stage of pregnancy can cross placental barrier. Do not take any medication with out consulting your md.

Can probiotics prevent bacterial infections and sepsis?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care 35 years experience
Probiotics: The use of probiotics continues to increase along with the publication of studies to look at the issue of whether they help or not. Right now it appears to be a neutral issue: that is, the use of probiotics has not be shown to be harmful, may be helpful, and the worse thing is that it increases costs. Note that using active culture yogurts may be just as beneficial.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
A reason that probiotics fail to work is that usually most of the bacteria of most products are killed in the stomach. Obtain probiotics that are "Acid resistant" or formulated to be alive when it reaches the colon so it (probiotic) can replenish beneficial flora to a healthy level. Probiotics used properl can be very beneficial.
Nov 29, 2011

I'm allergic to penicillin, can I still get effective antibiotic treatment for chlamydia?

Yes: There are several antibiotic options for treating chlamydia infections. A primary care doctor can review the options for a patient, especially if the patient has some antibiotic allergies. Prevention is the best way to avoid needing antibiotics for chlamydia.

Just got my wisdom teeth removed and have dry sockets, are there any alternatives to antibiotics for this?

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Preventive Medicine 40 years experience
Antibiotics: There is a colloidal silver solution for oral usage that may be helpful in place of antibiotics. The solution can be gargled and swallowed. Alternatively, some people will gargle with a salt solution and then spit it out. Both these treatments have a moderate effect on infections.

Last updated Jun 27, 2014