U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Bonita Springs, FL
A 34-year-old female asked:

I have a fine, papular, kinda itchy rash that has broken out on most of my face. it seems to be spreading out over the rest of my face. what can i do for it? have tried benadryl (diphenhydramine) lotion and tablets.

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Roschmann
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology 48 years experience
A # of possibilities: It's hard to tell what your rash is due to without actually seeing it. But here are some clues: if it involves the nose and spreads outward with a fair degree of redness it may be rosacea. If it spares the nose but involves the cheeks then this could actually be a photosensitivity reaction or even an allergic reaction to the products you're putting on your face. A Dermatlogist could tell & Rx...
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Contact dermatitis: Most rashes that are fine and itchy are related to an allergic reaction to a substance that the skin came in contact. On the face, it could be a soap, cosmetic, or an airborne substance. It may respond to Hydrocortisone cream that could be applied 3 times a day. The 1% cream that is available otc is safe to use on your face for a week or so, but if there is no response, get it checked out.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 25, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.