what to do if i have been told that my potassium level is low, what type of health problems can this cause?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Low potassium: Mild hypokalemia (H) is often without symptom and can occasionally provoke cardiac arrhythmias and may cause muscle weakness, myalgia, and muscle cramps and constipation. More severe H can cause paralysis. Find out why you have a low potassium level. At times, it is caused by a magnesium (M) deficiency, due to diuretics, and the H will not correct until the M level is brought to normal.
Dr. Reem Raafat
Pediatric Nephrology and Dialysis 32 years experience
Muscle weakness : Low potassium affect muscle contraction. You get muscle weakness that can be severe where you can't walk. In very low potassium level the heart muscle can be affected and sudden death can occur. You have to be on treatment and to find the reason for your low levels.