can fibromyalgia feel like flu? i dont have pain, just the gross flu feeling all over, i get it often. rheum. doc thinks fibromyalgia after exams

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Fibromyalgia: FM is a generalized systemic condition that is characterized by widespread aching or pain throughout the body, notably in the weight bearing muscles. No single treatment is completely effective in controlling FM and treatment is largely empirical. The tender points injections is one of the treatment modalities and very efficient one. Good luck.
Dr. Erik Voogd
Pain Management 20 years experience
Then it likely is...: Absolutely! Your symptoms are VERY common amongst my FBS suffers. It is a complex syndrome that likely has multiple causes with similar presentation. There are MULTIPLE treatments but you will likely only find some of them to be helpful for you. I HIGHLY recommend that you seek out a Fellowship-trained Board-Certified Pain Medicine specialist who treats a LOT of FBS suffers. Do NOT go for opioids
Dr. Erik Voogd
Dr. Erik Voogd commented
Pain Management 20 years experience
Provided original answer
As I said before, it's likely that it is multifactorial and more than just one etiology presenting in a similar fashion and labeled 'fibromyalgia'. That said, there appears to be a low-level inflammatory state present in many of the patient diagnosed with FBS. CSF from some FBS pts. compared to normals show small but altered: levels of IL-1, IL-2, IL-6, TNF and gene to include CB-2.
Nov 30, 2014
Dr. Erik Voogd
Dr. Erik Voogd commented
Pain Management 20 years experience
Provided original answer
Clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD) is possibly just one of the many paths that can lead to FBS. Our center has been performing lidocaine infusions for fibromyalgia patients since the mid-1990's (after we published successful results from a small trial) and we've noted what I refer to simply as 'responders' and 'non-responders'. The differences between the two groups are remarkable.
Nov 30, 2014
Dr. Erik Voogd
Dr. Erik Voogd commented
Pain Management 20 years experience
Provided original answer
IF they respond most note MARKED improvement. Not just a little. Is it placebo? Well, lidocaine is a potent PKC and PLC inhibitor which could explain at least some of its efficacy beyond minutes to hours after infusion. It would certainly make an impact in the chronic pain pathway involving chronic pain generation, inflammation, opioid induced-hyperalgesia, and NMDA receptors.
Nov 30, 2014

Last updated Jun 27, 2015