can i drink alcohol when i am on antibiotics?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Susan Arnoult
Limited: It depends on the antibiotic. The only one that causes serious adverse reaction consistently is Metronidazole (also called Flagyl).
Answered on Jun 28, 2014
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
48 years experience Addiction Medicine
Yes you can, BUT: it always worries me when people find drinking so important that they need to ask this kind of a question. I would also wonder what kind of infection is being treated, and HOW MUCH ALCOHOL you are talking about. Alcohol decreases the activity of white blood cells that fight infection and make antibodies, and it is not the best thing to take when you are trying to cure an infection. Talk to doctor
Answered on Dec 12, 2015