why is my neck sore when i wake up

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Specializes in Family Medicine
Position: It could be stiff and sore due to the position you sleep in. Try changing positions, and get a new pillow that's not too thick.

The past 2 nights going to bed 2 lumps have appeared on my neck in my hairline. They are sore but dissappear by lunch then reappear by night?

Doctor to evaluate: The symptoms of 2 lumps on the neck skin appearing, disappearing, reappearing, for 2 nights... Sounds odd, so a visit to a primary care doctor or a dermatologist will be needed to figure things out. Hives (allergic welts) can come and go like this, but are itchy. Bug bites, acne, infected hair follicles, lymph nodes, etc... All can appear as bumps but don't disappear so quickly.

My neck lymph nodes are swollen and tender this morning. So, something might happen to me later today?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Possible: Obviously this depends on the cause of the lymph node abnormalities. If further symptoms develop you may benefit from direct physician exam.

My neck is always aching and i don't know why .. :(( please help me..?

Dr. Alan Gorenberg
Allergy and Immunology 35 years experience
Probably trauma: At your age, the most likely explanation is that you are doing something that is causing it to hurt. You need to figure out what it is and stop doing it. Common causes are holding the phone with your head, carrying things with your head, suspending your head while doing something else (like watching tv) or straining the neck muscles in exercise.

Doctor's opinion? My neck has been sore for over two months?

Dr. Roy Arnold
Eval needed: See your primary care as soon as possible for an evaluation. They can evaluate for any neurological or musculoskeletal issues. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!

Enlarged tender masses on the right side of my neck, what to do?

Dr. Hassan Arshad
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 16 years experience
See your doctor: Lumps in the neck can be caused by a number of things. They range from benign (like lymph nodes responding to an infection, cysts, or non-cancerous tumors) to serious things like cancer. You should see your doctor for an exam. Masses in the neck (especially in someone who uses tobacco) that don't go away need to be evaluated by an ENT doctor.

Last updated Apr 25, 2012