Child of 3 years old has had runny noses for up to 3wks at a time for the last 6mths. is he sick or is it allergies?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine 73 years experience
?cow's milk: Cow's milk was invented for cows to give to their babies like you produced milk for yours. I can never understand why it has become a staple in diet of kids. Try stopping his milk intake. I have seen a hyperactive child become normal in 5 days after stopping milk. There are other sources of calcium.
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 33 years experience
Either one: Certainly 3 year olds can have allergic rhinitis or viral infections especially if they attend daycare. If the symptoms respond to antihistamines, that may suggest an allergy. However, the best way to find the answer is to consult an allergist. Skin testing at this age is quick and easy and you will not have to keep guessing.

Last updated Dec 11, 2012