India

musculoskeletal causes of shortness of breath?

Dr. Tanya Russo
Diaphragm motion: Dysfunction in any structure that surrounds your lungs could impair your ability to take deep breaths. Excessive tone or tightness of the diaphragm (a large muscle between your lungs and abdomen) or problems with the mobility of your ribcage are two possibilities. Practicing mindful deep breathing and gentle stretching of the torso can help these conditions.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 52 years experience
Muscles,soft tissues: Respiratory symptoms caused by connective tissue disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc. However many times shortness of breath can be result of drug therapies with pulmonary side effects. Disorders causing muscular weakness can affect muscles used in breathing and therefore also result in shortness of breath. Muscular dystrophy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease)