can you tell me how i could deal with an angry, grudge-holding mother?

2 doctor answers
43 years experience Pathology
Set limits: I am going to assume you are financially independent. If you can, remind her how much you love her, whether or not you actually do. If she's willing to sit down and talk with a family counselor, great. If this is disruptive, be ready to tell her in a registered letter what behaviors you will not accept, and that continuing problems will limit her ability to be involved with any grandchildren.
Answered on Jul 8, 2014
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
32 years experience Neurology
Mental status of mom: I concur with Dr. Friedlander & his worthy advice. Also, keep in mind that changes in cognition or mental status may be at a very early stage. Your mom is in at least her 60's if not older, right? That could signal the beginning of a dementing process which can be seen as personality changes or magnifications of NEG behavior traits in some cases. If true then, use of logic may start to fail in her
Answered on Jul 12, 2014