My husband was around his sister who smokes meth and weed. he has to take a hair follicle or blood test will it show up just from being around her?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. James Davie answered

Specializes in Pathology

No: These tests have a minimum 'cutoff' level of drug required for a positive result, so as to specifically eliminate the possibility that a trace amount of drug absorbed by being in the same room (or same city) as smokers will cause a false positive result.

Answered 9/14/2017

4.1k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

It will show up: The same mechanism as second hand smoking. It will cause an individual to test positive for opiates. The bad news are Addiction, Tolerance, Withdrawal, and Dependence. the fact is that Methadone is an extremely physically addictive drug. Be well and be careful.

Answered 6/28/2014

4.1k views

Dr. Natalie Sieb answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Probably not: Passive cannabis smoke can cause traces of it to be found in body fluids but it seems that many testing companies can't detect such little THC in tests.In a person actually doing the smoking, meth can be found in the blood for about 4-8 hours,so since he isn't even the one smoking,I don't think that will show up.The hair test can detect months of use,but I doubt it would show much in his if at all

Answered 5/16/2014

4.1k views

Dr. James Burns answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

No.: Hair samples are washed before being tested for the metabolites and blood tests are useful only for a very short period. Urine testing cutoffs are set high enough to avoid this scenario. So unless your husband is actively using his test should be negative.

Answered 7/11/2014

3.9k views