U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Absecon, NJ
A 30-year-old male asked:

For the past year, sometimes i have been getting pain in my rib cage both sides which radiates to my back. with drinking less, i notice it happens more after i drink alcohol.

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctoranswered
Addiction Medicine 50 years experience
Could be many things: but if it is getting worse after drinking, I would be concerned that it might be pancreatitis. Anything in what is called the "retroperitoneum" - very posterior organs like the pancreas, a short part of the duodenum, the kidneys - may radiate to the back. I would see your health care provider for a full evaluation, including blood work and possibly imaging of the pancreas. Stop alcohol!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Satish Charo
Pediatrics 22 years experience
Heartburn: Could be heartburn. Try taking OTC Prilosec or Pepcid/Zantac (generics fine) to see if helps. Try drinking less. If it is not better, discuss with your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 25, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.