Why my does my knee has crackling sound when i bend it?

Dr. Laurence Fox
Specializes in Family Medicine
Arthritis: A common cause is osteoarthritis. Another cause could be patellar chondromalacia. Have your PCP evaluate
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bryce Bederka
Sports Medicine 21 years experience
Crackling knee: Most crackling in the knee that is otherwise pain free is due to rubbing of the synovium between the kneecap and femur. This is fairly common and increases with age or previous knee injury. Osteoarthritis is a possibility as well, and a proper set of weight bearing X-rays would help differentiate the two. If it is pain free then best to not worry about it.