Durham, NH

Diagnosed with cellulitis on lower leg. will be 2 days until i will have a car to get to pharmacy. is it ok to postpone?

Dr. Ravi Nerella
Hospital-based practice 25 years experience
Not really: It's better to start your antibiotics ASAP. If you can have a friend or family member pick up your prescription it would be best. Cellulitis can progress quickly. I would strongly advise that you have someone get your prescription for you.
Dr. John Leander Po
Infectious Disease 19 years experience
I agree with getting someone you know , to get your antibiotics prescribed. You can also try to even calling the pharmacy and gave them delivered. Also, don't forget to elevate the affected limb, optimally above the level of the heart, to minimize fluid collecting in the extremity due to gravity.
May 11, 2014
Dr. Ehteshamuddin Syed
No: Cellulitis is a spreading infection under the skin. It is usually caused by a bacteria. Treatment should be started as early as possible after diagnosis. This is so that it does not get worse.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
No: You need to start treatment as soon as possible to prevent complications like septicemia

Last updated Mar 10, 2018