has sculptra that has been used as a filler in the foot (as fat pad augmentation/padding replacement) fda approved for this use yet?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Krishna Narayanan
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Mostly facial: sculptura is used as a facial filler. Not yet approved by the FDA for applications in the feet for augmentation.
Answered on May 13, 2014
2
Dr. Marcus Peterson
34 years experience Plastic Surgery
No Foot approval: Sculptra is FDA approved for HIV lipoatrophy and cosmetic facial enhancement. Any other use would be considered off-label usage. You might find a doctor that would do this but I know of no study or research on the subject of feet fat pad augmentation.
Answered on May 15, 2014
2
Dr. Arnold Zuckman
41 years experience Podiatry
Apparently not!: I would be very cautious about implannting any froeign substance into the plantar foot. The loads and pressures are extremely high and still not completely understood. There is a long history of failure with every product that has been used.
Answered on May 18, 2014
1
2
Dr. Doug Mason
Dr. Doug Mason commented
32 years experience Podiatry
I would concur with Dr. Zuckman. They have tried many different substances for fat pad augmentation including replacing with fat with little to no help. The stress and sheering forces are just too great to overcome by any known substance implanted. Best bet is external support and cushion.
May 9, 2014