Greenwood, IN

what is irritable bowel syndrome and do you have it the rest of your life?

Dr. Dan Fisher
IBS: Ibs is a syndrome characterized by bowel symptoms (constipation, diarrhea, bloating, pain, etc.) which are related to intake of food or elimination. Other causes of symptoms such as gluten enteropathy, lactose intolerance, intestinal infection, etc must be ruled out.
Dr. Mark Gromisch
Gastroenterology 38 years experience
IBS: Ibs is often a diagnosis of exclusion; meaning other causes such as inflammatory bowel disease have been excluded. It can manifest as abdominal pain with constipation, diarrhea or a combination of both. There are multiple meds that may be helpful. There is a psychological component often where stress or anxiety can exacerbate the symptoms. Often the severity of the symptoms may wax and wane.