U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old member asked:

My baby has food allergies that she inherited from me. what should i do?

4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gary Steven
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 31 years experience
Follow your advice: Your allergist has likely confirmed the diagnosis by now; if not, your baby should be evaluated - the specific foods causing reactions may not be the same as those that bothered you. Once you have a confirmed list of all the foods to which your baby is allergic, you need to carefully eliminate all of them from your baby's diet, in order to increase the chances that they will be outgrown.
Dr. Boyce Hornberger
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
It depends: It depends on what kind of allergy your child has. You should have your child evaluated by a doctor and possibly see an allergist if she has not already done so. Once your child is diagnosed they will give you a treatment plan. You should then be educated how to prevent and treat her food allergies. You should also be sure everyone else who cares for her is educated in the same manner
Dr. Stevan Cordas
Internal Medicine 58 years experience
Food allergies ibaby: Ask your pediatrician for advice but generally find out what the baby can eat and if there are enough different foods, rotate the foods so that the baby does not eat the same foods repetitively. Also breast feed verses formulas if possible.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 37 years experience
Workup/mgt: The reaction typically will occur within four hours of ingestion of the food. If your baby is starting a new food, three days without introduction of another new food is recommended. Observe her/him for any rash, GI upset or breathing difficulties during this introductory period. If you note any changes alert your pediatrician. I would recommend a food CAP panel if food allergy is suspected.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 40-year-old member asked:

How can I know if my baby has food allergies?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arthur Torre
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 52 years experience
Rash or irritability: Most food allergy presents with eczema - an allergic rash. Vomiting, diarrhea, poor weight gain, irritability or colic are other common presentations. Sometimes respiratory symptoms as asthma and ear infections may also be related to food allergy. Rarely blood in the stool may be caused by a food allergy.

Related questions

A 34-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 27-year-old female asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 26-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Mar 16, 2021

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.