What to do if i have 4, 000+ protein in my urine and have very little swelling. what's going on with my kidneys?

Dr. Olukayode Akinlaja
Specializes in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Nephrologist asap: 4000+ protein in your urine is very elevated by all measures and indicates that your kidney is compromised. You do need to see a nephrologist as soon as possible or your PCP in other to get your kidneys evaluated and at a minimum your electrolytes need to be checked.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Darwin Eton
Specializes in Vascular Surgery
Proteinuria: go to this web site for causes of proteinuria http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/proteinuria-protein-in-urine. You need to get a work up to sort out which is the cause. You cannot ignore this finding. Hypertension and diabetes are the most common causes.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 49 years experience
Proteinuria Rx: Treatment of proteinuria (P) depends on its cause. Some glomuerlonephritis (G) cases are treated with steroids and other agents to reduce P. Patients with diabetic nephropathy causing P are treated with ace-i, arb's and non-dhp calcium channel blockers. These also reduce BP which ameliorates P. See a nephrologist for some blood work to see if you have diabetes or G causing your P. Good luck.
Last updated Sep 27, 2017