does a child have klinefelter syndrome due to his own mutation or due to mutations his parents carry?

Pathology 49 years experience
Extra X chromosome: There is not a mutation in the conventional sense as none of the genes are abnormal. The phenotypic male, with a y chromosome, has more than on x chromosome, associated with poor testicular development, infertility and obesity.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
I thought about putting "Non-disjunction" in the summary box, so i'm glad you made that point. I don't find that summary box useful.
Oct 4, 2012
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Oct 4, 2012
Dr. Johanna Fricke
New mutation: Klinefelter syndrome happens in males who have an extra x chromosome (xxy). It happens when there is an error in separation of the "sex chromosomes, "50% of the time in the mother's cells of reproduction and 50% of the time in the father's. Learning and behavior problems often occur along with the physical/ medical problems. There is a national parent support group.