Oakland Gardens, NY

my wife is 5 weeks pregnant, she is taking vitamin raw code raw prenatal is it safe to take gnc triple strength fish oil 5x certified/ purified. it has epa 540 dha 360. also wondering what else helps?

Dr. Norma jo Waxman
Healthy pregnancy: I think your question was regarding what is safe during pregnancy. Getting lots of low impact exercise, drinking plenty of water, taking a multivitamin with 800 mcg of folic acid, and eating fresh fruits and vegetables, calcium rich food and proteins are all advised. Avoiding alcohol and cigarettes are important. Fish oil/ omega 3 fa are fine.
Dr. Richard Roberts
EPA and DHA: These are essential fatty acids, and unless she eats at least one serving of seafood (not freshwater fish like tilapia) i recommend a supplement. 'The impurities like mercury are removed in the process of concentrating the fatty acids. Be sure not to eat seafood with high mercury contents==the FDA ad EPA have published a current list. They will get higher as we continue to pollute the ocean.