FL

are patients who have quarterly periodontal cleanings allowed nitrous oxide to decrease pain during the 45 minute hygienist procedure?

Dr. Howard Spector
Orthodontics 40 years experience
Absolutely: It is becoming more common these days to make our services "more comfortable" for our patients. Some doctors do perform procedures under nitrous oxide, particularly for patients who are anxious about the procedure. If your dentist uses nitrous in his practice, there is no reason that his/her hygienist cannot perform your cleanings "under the influence"!
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Nitrous Oxide: Any patient can receive nitrous oxide\oxygen analgesia for any dental procedure. However, each state has different state board requirements as to who may administer and monitor the patient during the administration. In some states in can only be a licensed doctor while others may allow auxiliary personal such as a dental hygienist to monitor it with specialized training and certification.
Dr. William Coppola
Pediatric Dentistry 46 years experience
Agree, in Texas a dentist must turn nitrous oxide/oxygen on. However, a dental assistant or hygienist that has take a rigorous course and passed an exam can monitor.
Mar 28, 2014
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Why not ?: Unless you have a medical reason as to why you can't inhale nitrous oxide and oxygen, I do not see any contraindications.
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dentistry 38 years experience
Yes. Most patients: Can have nitrous oxide/oxygen for help with any dental procedure w the exception of pregnant females in first two trimesters, recent scuba divers (within 24 hours) and some other medical conditions.