Greenville, NC

I recently jammed my hand against a surface. joint at base of middle finger sore and stiff and slightly swollen. bends ok.what is this? treatment?

Dr. David Fox
Sprain vs fracture: You either sprained the finger ( tendon injury) or fractured the bone. You need to see a physician to evaluate it to see if an x-ray is needed. For now you can ice it. You can also take Ibuprofen to help pain and swelling as long as you do not have a history of a stomach ulcer, kidney or liver disease, or high blood pressure. It is more likely sprained but get it checked.

Last updated Jan 3, 2020