is anemia common with hiatal hernia?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 34 years experience
No.: The most common symptom associated with a hiatal hernia is heartburn secondary to gerd (gastroesophageal reflux disease). This may lead to inflammation of the esophagus but should not cause anemia. A paraesophageal hernia is a rare variant of a hiatal hernia that can cause chronic anemia due to trauma to the stomach. These problems are best evaluated by upper endoscopy.
Dr. Scott Grover
General Surgery 26 years experience
Yes: Anemia is seen with hiatal hernias but not with all hiatal hernias.
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 31 years experience
It happens: Large hiatal hernias known as paraesophageal hernias can cause ulcers due to the stomach twisting back and forth. These are known as cameron's erosions, and are not uncommonly the cause of anemia that has no other known cause. I see 1-2 patients per year with multiple tests over 1-2 years, only to finally have their hiatal hernia repaired and their anemia resolved.
Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Bariatrics 20 years experience
No: Anemia is mostly not because of hiatal hernia, if one has ulcers in hiatal hernia area and if the y bleed one can develop anemia but typically it is not the case.