i'm pregnant and my husband keeps a pet rat in our bathroom, would it harm my unborn child? i can't stand the smell of it and he won't get rid of her.

Dr. Jane Van Dis
No: I would be wary of the pet rat and stay away from it so that it doesn't bite you. Other than that, i'm sure in pregnancy the smell might bother you way more than if you weren't pregnant. I'm sorry for that. You may need to negotiate something different between you and your husband regarding this pet. Of course, wouldn't want rat around baby either.

Last updated Mar 20, 2014