my mirena (levonorgestrel) was inserted 8 years ago. i've heard that in europe they use is for up to 7 years...is my iud still effective contraception?

Dr. Jane Van Dis
17 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Unlikely: There is some 'wiggle' room, as it were, with the mirena, (levonorgestrel) but speaking of months, not years. There is medication in the mirena, (levonorgestrel) progesterone, which was designed to be delivered over the course of 5 years. At 8 years, it's likely to be ineffective. It's possible in europe that the amount of medication is different? The paragard iud is good for 10 years, but it operates by different mechansim.
Answered on Aug 21, 2016