Cayce, SC

i just found out my grandmother has rectal cancer. is it cureable? can she get rid of it? not real familiar with it. what is the best treatment?

Dr. Mark Pack
Dr. Mark Pack answered
General Surgery 31 years experience
Depends: The answer to you questions depends on a lot of things. There is a lot of information needed to be able to answer our questions. Treatment options depend on the size, the actual location, her health and overall condition. I would recommend asking these questions directly to her surgeon and oncologist.
Dr. Herbert Hoover
General Practice 51 years experience
Depends on stage: I need more information to answer your question. Rectal cancer that is early and has not spread is often curable. The treatment is surgical resection often preceded by radiation therapy. Chemotherapy may be necessary as well, depending upon the stage of the cancer. The important thing is to be sure she is in the hands of a good surgeon and medical and radiation oncology medical specialists.

Last updated Mar 23, 2014